The Art of Community available for download
Greg Grossmeier, September 21st, 2009
Jono Bacon’s book The Art of Community is now available for download.
We mentioned the beginning of this project back in January of this year. Just 8 months later the digital version of the book is available for everyone to download and share under a CC BY-NC-SA license. You can download it from the book’s webpage here.
The Art of Community isn’t just written for current or would-be community managers. It outlines and discusses all of the issues that are pertinent to simply working with a dispersed community of contributors. These issues are:
- Sustainable processes for management – how to create day to day processes that are simple, effective and always representative of your community and its members.
- Tools and infrastructure – give your community simple and friction-free tools that they need to do their work, complete with effective communication channels.
- Building buzz – think outside the box and excite and enthuse potential community members to join your crusade, build capacity and keep the train running.
- Measuring aspects of community success – understand, assess and measure your community, discover what can be measured and how to react to the results.
- Conflict management – manage strong personalities that clash, and untangle contentious situations in the open and transparent manner that your community expects.
- Handling live events – organize and schedule productive, fun and engaging live events that get things done and re-affirm social bonds between your community members.
- Scaling the community – as your community grows, things change and adjust to the size, scale and throughput of your membership: handle these changes with as little disruption as possible.
If you are at all interested in what it takes to run a successful community, this book written by the Ubuntu Community Manager will help shed some light on the complex, yet fun, aspects of community management.