Creative Commons is growing. Check this page from time to time to learn about new employment opportunities with us.
If you are interested in applying, please email a cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include the title of the position in the subject line. Thank you for your interest in our organization. Please NO phone calls, NO recruiters.
Director of Development
Creative Commons is seeking a Director of Development to lead development on behalf of the organization. You will be responsible for securing the resources and relationships necessary to fulfill our vision to realize the full potential of the Internet — universal access to research and education, full participation in culture — to drive a new era of development, growth, and productivity. Our reach is global and our ambitions are far-reaching — you’re going to have your work cut out for you.
Reporting directly to the CEO, the Director of Development will work closely with the CC board of directors, program leads, and finance staff to develop and execute strategies to fund ongoing projects and operations and build the organization’s long-term sustainability. You will be responsible for building and executing a comprehensive fundraising strategy, focusing mainly on individual and corporate donations, and provide a supporting role in seeking grant partnerships.
As Director of Development, you will work in all three areas of individual, corporate, and grant funding. Responsibilities will include:
- Creating and executing a strategy for a large sustained base of individual donors, solicited online and offline, including list-building, driving conversions, donor acquisition and retention, and events
- Developing and meeting annual targets and metrics; tracking progress and providing analysis on fundraising initiatives
- Developing and executing CC’s annual fundraising plan and in-year campaigns
Corporate gifts and partnerships
- Developing and securing a fundraising pipeline with quarterly and annual targets
- Building and maintaining relationships with donors, funders, partners, and other key stakeholders
- Managing and supporting the CEO, program staff, and Board’s relationships with key foundation, corporate, and individual donors and prospects
- Proactively monitoring the funding landscape, seeking out potential donors suited to our current projects, and supporting project managers in identifying and pursuing these opportunities
- Providing support to team members working to secure major gifts and partnerships
- Assisting the CEO in his efforts to steward and solicit foundation grants
- Leading the planning, research, writing, coordination, reporting, and stewardship of foundation, corporate, and institutional grants
- Managing the CiviCRM fundraising database and overseeing staff responsible for data entry and gift processing
- Developing and tracking reports on all aspects of fundraising
- Working with Creative Commons’ staff and global community of affiliates and supporters to identify local fundraising opportunities, and to build support and engagement for global fundraising programs. You will embed fundraising as part of our culture
- Managing the CC online store
Goals and Targets
Sustainability and diversification of revenue are our immediate goals in development, followed by growth and exploration of areas of opportunity and interest to fulfill our mission. For individuals, we are starting with a small, dedicated base, and will need to aggressively drive list growth and professional fundraising. With hundreds of millions of CC licensed works, and strong corporate platform partners, raising at a minimum $1M in new individual small-dollar donations is an attainable goal in the first 2 years. The successful candidate will outline a plan for how they will use their skills and experience to realize this goal, and set targets for corporate and grant revenues to meet the organization’s needs.
We are seeking an accomplished and organized senior professional with a creative entrepreneurial spirit to attract, cultivate and manage support for this leading organization that works with communities and partners across the globe. As the successful candidate, you are someone with:
- A passion for fundraising, campaigns, a/b testing, leads, and making deals. This is your profession.
- 5+ years of nonprofit development experience
- A proven track record of institutional, corporate, and individual fundraising. You can close, and you have the numbers to back it up — dollars raised, conversion, retention, etc.
- A gift for strategic writing. You can write letters, e-mails, tweets, and subject lines that deliver results and make people act.
- Skills in both online and offline fundraising best practices, and new approaches
- The ability to develop and maintain effective relationships with stakeholders
- A strong network in the government and nonprofit sectors
- The ability to work independently and collaboratively with program leads and other staff to drive proposals and projects to successful conclusion
- An ability to respond flexibly to unanticipated requests and assignments and short timelines
- A familiarity with fundraising technology. CiviCRM experience a plus
- A passion for open knowledge, copyright, innovation and creativity on the Web.
- Knowledge of technical and legal challenges associated with copyright and IP
Creative Commons is a globally distributed organization. We support remote working employees in order to hire the best talent wherever they are. Laptop/desktop computer and necessary resources are supplied. May require some travel.
How to Apply
Please email your cover letter and resume to “email@example.com” with the subject heading of “Director of Development Application.” No phone calls, please.