There are too few nonprofit organizations like CC fighting for the digital commons – support our vital leadership with an end of year contribution. Donate today!
Late last year we started a process for moving ccMixter.org, the remix community we launched November 2004, to an entity or person(s) that could take the community to the next (several) levels.
eMXR describes ccMixter:
trend setting web destination … which has become the premier on-line artist’s village for music makers from around the world, who sample, cut-up, share and remix each other’s music legally, creatively and joyfully.
This description is corroborated by the quality of artists drawn to collaborate with the ccMixter community and the receptivity of that community, which has remixed nearly 80% of uploaded a cappellas. The software that runs the site is also award winning.
If you aren’t familiar with ccMixter, or hadn’t realized how cool it is, go visit the site, then return here.
The process of finding a new home for ccMixter included a survey of the ccMixter community. Results of the survey are presented at the end of this post.
Today we’re announcing a Request For Proposals from entities interested in taking over the site. Please read the entire RFP. Proposals are due within 60 days (July 29) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Inquiries before submitting a proposal are most welcome, to the same address. Please use this address for all inquiries rather than contacting CC or ccMixter personnel directly.
The Creative Commons board will make the final determination, but here are some guidelines for what we’re looking for in an acquirer (from the RFP):
- Commitment and ability to conform to principles described in guidelines [at http://lessig.org/blog/2007/11/ccmixter_thinking_about_where.html].
- Plan and vision for ccMixter after completion of the transaction:
- Concreteness of plan;
- Viability of Participant and Participant’s proposal for ccMixter– long and short term; and
- Scale and impact of success (taking into account web site growth plans and other marketing and promotional plans).
- Amount and terms of financial compensation to CC.
- Capability to run and further develop a best of breed major music website, including resources and demonstrated expertise in the following:
- Web technology;
- Music industry;
- Community management; and
- Understanding of and sensitivity to the needs of open sharing communities.
- Understanding of and compatibility with Creative Commons’ mission.
We’re eager to see what the ccMixter can become — and confident it will be amazing. If the above sounds like your company or organization, please read the RFP and respond.
ccMixter community survey results summary
|Total Responses: 232|
|What are the key features of ccMixter.org for you|
|Which other CC-enabled music remix sites have you tried?|
|I think of myself mainly as|
|If ccMixter.org is transferred to a commercial entity, I would|