Opening up and sharing knowledge is necessary if we are going to solve the world’s most pressing challenges!
Sustainable development is the most urgent challenge of our time. The current global economy produces tremendous wealth, but it also produces tremendous inequality, social exclusion, and environmental destruction. To achieve the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), every individual must acquire the sustainable development knowledge, global citizenship values, and 21st century skills critical to tackling our shared challenges and to promoting a future of equitable, inclusive, and resilient societies. Education is a crucial enabler of this transformation. It is the basis for cultivating the best in ourselves and our communities, and is the key for learning to live together and work together for a better world.
The Open Education program at Creative Commons works to support the CC mission through education, advocacy and outreach on using open licenses and open access policies to maximize the benefits of open education (content, practices and policy). We work closely with governments, educational institutions and organizations to open up knowledge for everyone.
Open Educational Resources (OER) are teaching, learning, and research materials that reside in the public domain or have been released under an open license that permits their free use and re-purposing by others.
We invite you to join us in our current efforts, or otherwise propose an idea for collaboration:
- Join the CC Open Education Platform: Stay connected to global actions in open education resources, practice, and policy. Identify, plan and coordinate multi-national open education content, practices and policy projects to collaboratively solve education challenges with an amazing group of open education leaders from around the world.
- Take the Creative Commons Certificate: The Certificate is an in-depth course about CC licenses, open practices and the ethos of the Commons.
- License your work: Want to add a CC license to your project?
- Fund OER: Want to incorporate CC into your education funding policy? See Funder Policies for how to understand and implement CC licenses.
- Promote your project: Want to highlight your CC education project? Add it to our Case Studies wiki and tag it with ‘OER’. Then send a note to email@example.com.
- Share open policies: Know of an open education policy in your jurisdiction? Add it to the OER Policy Registry — we need your help to make it a truly useful global resource.
- Stay up-to-date: Subscribe to the CC blog or simply follow the Open Education section of the blog.