Creative Commons is once again seeking a bright, enthusiastic student to intern at its Mountain View office for ten weeks this summer. The student will have the opportunity to work with CC staff and international volunteers on various real-time projects.
This year, Creative Commons is looking for an intern to work on a number of specific projects in support of our worldwide affiliate community.
The intern will be supervised by the Affiliate Network Coordinator and work with our remotely-based Regional Project Managers to facilitate collaborative projects among our global volunteer network and to support our regional activities more generally. Assigned tasks and projects will vary depending on skills, experience and organization needs. However, it is anticipated that over the course of the ten week period the intern will undertake tasks along the following lines:
- Assist with the production of educational toolkits and standardised materials on specific topics/domains
- Audit existing resources and materials internationally for contribution to toolkits
- Coordinate group translation of identified documents
- Recruit affiliates for working groups and coordinate activities
- General support of affiliate communications, consultation and coordination
This position would suit those with experience, qualifications or an interest in community management, communications or a similar field. Knowledge of, or involvement in, the free/open culture movement would be a plus. Other than the Affiliate Network Coordinator, the intern would primarily be interacting with internationally-based staff and volunteers, so some late night and early morning work may be required.
In addition to contributing to real-time work projects, the intern will be invited to participate in external meetings, staff meetings, inter-organization competitions and discussions, and potential evening events. Staff will encourage the intern to also self-organize visits to local organizations, and to find ways to connect with various community members.
If you are a currently enrolled student (College, Graduate level, or somewhere in between) interested in applying, please read the above description carefully and follow the instructions below. You can find more details on our Opportunities page.
- Internships are open to students enrolled across the spectrum of disciplines;
- Internships are open to students at different levels of academic study including undergraduate, graduate and PhD. programs, although preference will be given to more experienced students.
- Internships are open to international students who are eligible to work abroad from an accredited university and/or through a third-party work-study program.
- Ability to work independently, as part of a team, and across teams.
- Excellent writing, editing and verbal communication skills.
- Fluency in English required, second language competency a plus.
- Familiarity with the open movement and issues relating to copyright, technology, and creativity on the Internet a plus.
- The internship will last for ten weeks from approximately June to August 2012.
- The internships are full-time, temporary positions (no benefits).
- Applicants should plan on spending the summer at Mountain the View, CA office.
- Please also be ready to assist with general office tasks in addition to focused projects.
Creative Commons offers a stipend of US$ 4,000, if not otherwise covered by grant funding. If your school offers a stipend for work-study or internships, this factor is figured into the compensation. This stipend may not be sufficient to cover living expenses in the bay area. No other benefits are provided. Interns must make their own housing, insurance, and transportation arrangements.
How to apply
If you are a college or graduate student interested in our internship program, please send us your:
- Cover Letter explaining your interest in Creative Commons, in the position, and any other relevant experience not covered in your résumé.
- Two References: Please include email and phone number.
Applications and questions can be sent to “firstname.lastname@example.org” with the subject heading of “Community Support Intern.” No phone calls, please.
The application deadline for Summer 2012 is 11:59 p.m. PDT, Friday, April 9, 2012. Thank you for your interest in our organization.